Wow! How is tomorrow December? Is it me or has this year gone by faster than ever? I can’t believe I did a mixtape every single month this year! I stuck to it. It’s been a true labor of love. Music has always been something I’m really passionate about, but never really shared online. To make a monthly mixtape gave me a reason to slow down, listen to music more and take the time to explore new artists. I really hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
December’s Mixtape is going out with a bang! It’s an hour and a half of easy listening. There are a few upbeat, groovy songs, but most of them are chill and moody —a soothing delight to the ears. As with all my monthly mixtapes this year, there is a mix of old and new.
A few standouts in this month’s mixtape:
- Florence + The Machine covering one of my favorite song’s ever: Cornflake Girl by Tori Amos (which made my January Mixtape). I saw Tori in concert as a teenager and was blown away. One of my favorite artists of all time. Florence keeps to song’s original mood and sound, but adds her signature flair to it.
- My Wild Sweet Love by First Aid Kit: These ladies have been on many of this year’s playlists. Their voices are so freaking dreamy.
- You Don’t Have To Be A Baby to Cry by Claudine Longet: This song is quirky. I love French singers, and Claudine’s voice is so playful and coy.
- Thank You by Florist: This isn’t really a song but more like a poem by Emily Sprague of Florist. I know that adding things like this in may interrupt the flow and make people click out, but I quite like inserting things that make you stop and take notice. Plus, Emily’s words are powerful.
- Take A Chance On Me by ABBA: I couldn’t end my year of mixtapes without my beloved ABBA. I went with this song, because it feels fitting for those of you who have been following me here, subscribing to my newsletter, and listening to my mixtapes. You’re taking a chance by sharing your precious time on this little side project. We’re in it together.
I don’t think I’ll be doing monthly mixtapes next year, but I will still make some. You can enjoy more music on my collaboration playlists with some Magic Making Ladies from interviews on this site. Like Jen Gotch and Erica Chidi Cohen.
“We can go dancing, we can go walking, as long as we’re together
Listen to some music, maybe just talking, get to know you better
‘Cause you know I’ve got
So much that I wanna do, when I dream I’m alone with you
– Take A Chance On Me, ABBA
If you would like to listen to other month’s mixtapes: